It may be that you have had a test done on yourself or your man and you feel that you need to improve sperm quality, but even if you haven’t and you just want them to be at their best, here are some hints:
Vitamins to boost motility and count are zinc and selenium as well as vitamins A, C and E. It has also been shown in several studies (and was mentioned on ‘The Food Hospital’ Channel 4) that increasing antioxidants is incredibly good to improve sperm DNA (morphology) and all round health of the sperm.
So, what can be done to improve sperm? Well my advice would be any combination of or all of the following:
- A man’s vitamin specifically for conception preparation such as ‘Sanatogen Father -to- be’
- Juice Plus – a great product which hugely boosts the antioxidant levels and I have had some really promising results with this. One man increased his sperm count by 5 times within 3 months of taking it, another man’s wife became pregnant after he had taken the supplement for the same amount of time. Considering the sperm cycle is roughly 3 months I think that is an exciting start. You can get this on the internet – juiceplus.co.uk. It starts at £35 per month
- Eat fruits and veg which keep their colour well like tomatoes (tinned especially), lemons, other citrus fruit, brocoli, spinach
- Protein like poultry, meat and dairy, pulses
- AVOID SOYA – really not good for sperm
- Brazil nuts
- Quit smoking
- Avoid alcohol bingeing
- beware of hot lap tops heating up the swimmers
- beware hot baths and tight pants doing the same
- If into sports like running and cycling this can have a serious impact so if things are really desperate, laying off this or switching to swimming for a while can help considerably.
As I said, the sperm are on a three month ish renewal cycle so anything you start will take around that sort of time to have an effect on improving sperm.
Happy swimmers! X