Your Temperature can tell you WAY more than you think….
If you are charting your temperature to monitor your cycle then may I just take a moment to salute you. It can be such a drag to do, and can ruin your day in an instant when it isn’t going the way you wish it was.
However, there is an awful lot to your temperature that can show hidden secrets within your fertility. We always recommend doing a couple of charts if a lady has been told she has unexplained infertility, as there is such a lot you can see from a chart.
You can work out:
Hidden luteal phase defects
Progesterone / cortisol issue
Basic Rules for temping:
- take it orally or vaginally. Orally can be zig zaggy and unreliable if you are a mouth breather, so vaginally can be more precise. However, you will always measure higher vaginally than you will orally, so don’t be surprised to see a rise from what you are used to if you switch.
- You need to have been sleeping for at least three hours to get an accurate resting temperature
- take it before you talk, eat, drink or move in the morning
- Try to take it at the same kind of time each day. If you temp later your number will be higher, and if you take it earlier it will be lower.
- It can sometimes dip down lower just before you ovulate
- Ovulation has already occurred when the temperature rises
- The best way confirm ovulation is to check for a pattern that shows three consecutive temperatures that are higher than the previous six
- You are aiming for at least ten high steady temperatures before it drops down again (signfiying that period is on its way)
- Around 6/7 days after ovulation there is a second oestrogen surge to help thicken the endometrium. This can cause the temp to dip a little lower. It should recover the next day. If it doesn’t and the temps then start to tail off this can indicate that you should work on your luteal phase.
- If the lines are very zig zag check that you are not just mouth breathing or being inconsistent with temp timings. If they are genuinely quite up and down this can be a sign of stress in the body. Working with things like mindfulness can really help correct this and make the body feel safe to conceive.
- It is possible to see the body ‘attempt’ to ovulate several times before it actually does. This indicates that working on oestrogen levels and ovulation is the best place for you to start
In our Fertility Haven we have a complete guide to show you how to interpret your temperature, which patterns mean what and exactly how best to treat each scenario. We feel like all women should have access to answers and support. Our haven is a careful collaboration of all of our knowledge and experience, collated in such a way that you can be guided gently through your body, heart and situation to ensure you are looking in the right places and working out the best plan to correct things.
SO many of our clients have had what look on the surface to be textbook cycles. They have normal blodd results and are told they should be able to conceive. But when you look at their temperature charts, or go through their cycle / situation in fine detail there is always an answer.
We are really good at finding those answers.
Our Haven is about making sure all women, in all situations have access to solutions and guidance to help their fertility but also lots of loving support for their hearts and heads too.